Problem: What new feature could our company implement to make our users' experience better?
For the annual Innovation Day (or Hackathon) our team decided to create an experience that allows users browse and filter multiple events on a single page.
Useful functionality that appears to be lacking from the online ticket industry is the ability to filter multiple events simultaneously to find the best tickets. Currently, if a sports fan wants to see his favorite team play at home, but he has flexibility on which game he can attend within a specific budget, he must spend extra time scouring multiple events with his desired preferences.
The new feature proposed by our team would help fans find the perfect seat more easily. By simply selecting your desired filters one time, you are able to search multiple listings of all the games that match your criteria.
After talking with several individuals in our company, we discovered that this functionality was highly sought after and therefore worth developing.
Reaching the final designs shown above was not an easy process. It took iterating on several ideas—that did not necessarily pan out once tested—before reaching a final direction that still resulted in major revisions.
The initial event page concept our team chose to implement most resembles the following sketch (third down on the left). This meant we would add a third column to the ticket rows header providing users with more advanced filtering options; however, this did not go over well once tested with users.
Using Invision to create a quick prototype, I walked users through a scenario where they would have to use the advanced filitering to select tickets dependent on predetermined criteria. From the very first usability test, this approach seemed confusing to the users. The first user did not comprehend that these advanced filters, though portrayed similarly to the preexisting filters, actually filtered the next page—not the event page the user was currently on.
In hindsight, this makes perfect sense, but while first designing this experience, we did not have these insights. After a couple users agreed upon the experience being confusing, I iterated on the design and did another test with a new user. This user definitely had a better experience with the page, but still had some concerns. After a few more rounds of this process, we were able to settle on an experience that was far more clear and user-friendly than the original design.
Since this was merely a project for a hackathon, the functionality has yet to exist in the wild yet. However, below is a quick look at the effort our team put in to develop this functionality within 24 hours. (Unfortunately, due to the time constraints, my design could not be implemented exactly as planned.)